Sunday, August 21, 2011

Last Train Ride




Today was my last train ride on Switzerland's fine network of trains. Ruth and I invested in a General Pass that allowed us to hope on all public trains, buses, and boats. Over that last 11 months, I took approximately 160 trips to 70 different locations within Switzerland, Italy, Germany, France, and Austria. When we did rent a car for a vacation, I realized how nice it was not to be at the driver's wheel. It is funny how much a form of transport can change a person. Because of the trains, I was much more punctual. I traveled, saw and experienced more of Switzerland because of the pass. And I learned more than I would have if I owned a car. Train rides meant I could study German, read the local papers, see the landscape in a way I would not have in a car. Most important of all because we traveled with literally hundreds of others we meet many interesting and engaging people. For example, Peter and Marianne (shown here) will be a lasting friendship.



I will forever support public transportation systems.

2 comments: