Sunday, December 5, 2010

der Schnee

der Schnee = snow in German. A word I learned pretty quickly here. We are just high enough in Fehraltorf to get a fresh blanket of snow on a regular basis. It is still too early to tell if this pattern will hold, but it is also warm enough on occasion to mostly melt the old snow so that the new snow isn't contaminated with road dirt.

The snow here is made of big big snowflakes. The kind that compels you to stick your hand or tongue out to see if you can catch a single enormous flake, just one... Several times now, as I go into work, I think that I should turn around and go home to enjoy the snow for the day, but then I think this could turn into a lot of days at home if I turn snow days into home days...

Sitting here now, watching the big snowflakes out the window and seeing the kids running across the lawn, I realize how much I miss living somewhere that it regularly snows. It has been 17 years since I had this in my world.... To der Schnee.


For anyone else who misses snow as much as I do, get a cup of hot chocolate, put this video on repeat, place the screen in your window, bundle up in a blanket and daydream as you look at the snow falling...

No comments:

Post a Comment