Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Different Country... Same 'ole story

On Sunday, we had a friend and her daughters over for a homemade Mexican dinner. The girls, who I happen to adore, brought their puppets with them. After dinner, as the adults sat around the table and gabbed, the girls played puppets, and to my surprise, prepared a puppet show for us. I say to my surprise because it seemed like they were just playing, not practicing and putting together a show... of course it could also be that my rudimentary understanding of German meant that I really didn't know what they were doing (my rudimentary understanding of German does mean that I miss quite a bit!)

We sat on the floor and watched the show, the mom interpreted the German for me. The story involved a prince, three sisters (all princesses), and two witches. The oldest sister wanted to marry the prince. She fought with her two sisters because they were not well behaved (they messed up the grass with their playing). Somehow the oldest sister was turned into a bear by the witches.

As the story continued to go on, we (the audience) were all starting to think that there wasn't a way to end the story within the next 30 minutes (the oldest still had homework to do, a possible motivation to extend the story?), and so their mom encouraged them to wrap it up...

Any guesses as to how the story was resolved (and with a happy ending for the princess)? Well,of course, the prince kissed the bear and she turned back into the princess. They married and lived happily ever after!!!

Love that this is a universal story :)



Help me, I am a beautiful princess who lost my body after I was turned into a bear by two evil witches. My head remained hidden under a sofa cushion until I was rescued by some lady... and placed on top of this shelf, awaiting my owner's return. Will I ever be rescued from this horrible bodyless fate?

No comments:

Post a Comment